Progress Meter

Arica Travis: Book 1

4074 / 40000 words. 10% done!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Writer's Definition of Success

I saw a post from Brad R. Torgersen the other day on his definition of success, and I really liked it--not so much his definition itself, but the idea of having an iterative list of key markerstones that define what you are working towards, your own definition of success.

So here's mine (at least for now).  Completed steps are marked with an "X" (to be updated soon...):

Success (for me) = ...

(X) ...first short fiction sale.

(_) ...first professional short fiction sale.

(_) ...final SFWA-qualifying professional short fiction sale.

(_) ...first professional novel sale.


Once I've accomplished these key markers I think I'll feel a lot more confident about promoting my writing and there will be more point to working towards things like increasing readership, improving sales, etc., at which point I'll likely need to make a new list of goals.  But for now, I think these four "short-term" goals will keep me moving in the direction I'd like to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment